Donate to our Healthy Yums Cafe

We would like to eventually open a cafe dedicated to healthy eating and living. You could help us towards this goal! If you think you like what you see on our website, and would like to one day sit in a jazzy cafe eating our culinary creations, please feel free to donate to us, and remember, no donation is too small! :o) And if you make a significant contribution, we'll be more than happy to name a dish after you. Goodness knows we always have trouble naming our cooking :o). Thank you!






Banana, Honey and Beet Jam... Wait, what?

Okay, so maybe this doesn't sound appetizing to some, but actually it was really good. healthyyums and I were making brownies and as per usual trying different substitutions for margarine. Earlier we tried applesauce and it worked well, but this time we decided to try something different. While healthyyums was busy mixing all the flour, cocoa powder and eggs, I was in charge of the bananas, beets and honey (although the honey was actually supposed to be her responsibility until I convinced her otherwise). I put 1/2 of a cooked beet (still have a few left from the first time I cooked them) through my trusty garlic press and mashed it together with two small ripe bananas. The bananas didn't take long to turn into a smooth liquid, but the beets were somewhat more resistant. I thought that if I mixed 1/2 cup of honey in, it might make them more compliant, but it did nothing to help. In the end I strained the mixture and used a fork to extract all the liquid that I could. What remained in the strainer is what you see spread over a piece of rye toast above. Any trace of beet was masked by the banana and honey flavor (a good thing), the look was spot on for jam and I'm happy to say it was quite healthy. Score!

 

0 comments: