Donate to our Healthy Yums Cafe

We would like to eventually open a cafe dedicated to healthy eating and living. You could help us towards this goal! If you think you like what you see on our website, and would like to one day sit in a jazzy cafe eating our culinary creations, please feel free to donate to us, and remember, no donation is too small! :o) And if you make a significant contribution, we'll be more than happy to name a dish after you. Goodness knows we always have trouble naming our cooking :o). Thank you!






Wholegrain banana brownies (with beets)

Did you just do a double take on the title of this entry? :o) Sorry folks, no mistake there. Wholegrain banana brownies...with beets.

If you read my last posting on brownies, you'll remember that I like to use applesauce when baking low-fat brownies. This time however, we had some really ripe bananas that needed eating, and you can substitute pureed banana for butter (or applesauce)...so I figured, why not!

Then I remembered that we had some beets in the fridge thanks to Mr. Green's current beet-craze. I decided to get on board with that, and we mashed some beets and banana together into a red...goo.

So I used that for my brownies, and substituted honey for sugar (using much less than the recipe calls for since the honey we have seems to taste sweeter), popped it into the oven, and hoped for the best!


Verdict? Not too bad. I definitely prefer applesauce over banana though, because you can really taste the banana in baking. The beets? Well I could hardly taste it and somehow the brownies were sticky and chewy just the way we like 'em. It could have probably used a little more honey, but all in all...I'm pretty surprised it worked out so well :o). Who would've guessed beets could be hidden so well in brownies? And I really liked the fact that we added some nutrition to this :o). Yums!

 

0 comments: