Donate to our Healthy Yums Cafe

We would like to eventually open a cafe dedicated to healthy eating and living. You could help us towards this goal! If you think you like what you see on our website, and would like to one day sit in a jazzy cafe eating our culinary creations, please feel free to donate to us, and remember, no donation is too small! :o) And if you make a significant contribution, we'll be more than happy to name a dish after you. Goodness knows we always have trouble naming our cooking :o). Thank you!






What's cooking in the Healthy Yums kitchen...

I've been experimenting lately with easy-to-remember recipes. Many a time I've found myself in a situation where I'm wrist deep in some kind of recipe and suddenly realize that I have forgotten the next step. In order to refer to the recipe, I have to wash my hands, dry them, find the recipe, and then start again. It seems to happen a lot.

To avoid this, I've been thinking up quick and easy recipes that can feed a number of people with minimal stress or hassle. Today, I experimented with a tomato sauce-like recipe that I like to call Lucky-5's. You'll see why shortly. Note that these carrots give to the tomato sauce a lot of the sweetness that usually has to be added in the form of sugar or honey.

Lucky-5's Sauce (serves about 5 people)

Ingredients:

5 Large Carrots (washed, and shredded - should make about 500 ml of shredded carrots)
5 Small Tomatoes (washed and diced)
1 - 500g Box of Tomato Sauce (a little less than 500 ml - probably about 2 cups)
5 Large White Button Mushrooms (washed and sliced)
5 - 1/4" slices of Broccoli Stem (washed, and shredded)
50 Spinach Leaves (or approx. 1/2 a large bag, washed and chopped)
5 Small Garlic Cloves (minced)
5 Peri-peri Chilies (sliced) - can be substituted with Sambal Oelek
1 tsp. Basil
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Salt

Method:

Heat on half heat a large (12" diameter or more) pot and once hot add carrots, shredded broccoli stems, garlic, salt and chillies. Stir occasionally for approximately 10 minutes until carrots begin to stick on the bottom. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and oregano and stir. Allow to just begin to boil, then add chopped spinach. Allow to just begin to boil again, add sliced mushrooms. Serve immediately over pasta, rice, etc.
healthyyums butts in: I thought it tasted better over rice. I suggested that next time, Mr. Green mixes some grated (low-fat) cheese to give the rice a richer taste. For a healthier option, use whole grain pasta and brown rice!

 

2 comments:

  1. Ira said,

    Ayuuuu!!!!! Please come back to malaysia! I'm dying to taste the Lucky 5 on rice & with baked macaroni!! They look yummy, and my kind of me-likee-food! =) Don't worry about your photos! If they still look good with a 3MB camera, I'm sure they taste wonderful!! =D

    on February 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM  


  2. Anonymous said,

    hehehe...we should have a potluck next time! instead of going out to eat...we'll bring our best dishes :o). this one still needs some work i think...but it's getting there!

    on February 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM