Donate to our Healthy Yums Cafe

We would like to eventually open a cafe dedicated to healthy eating and living. You could help us towards this goal! If you think you like what you see on our website, and would like to one day sit in a jazzy cafe eating our culinary creations, please feel free to donate to us, and remember, no donation is too small! :o) And if you make a significant contribution, we'll be more than happy to name a dish after you. Goodness knows we always have trouble naming our cooking :o). Thank you!






Sweet and sour chicken


This is an overdue entry of mine. Sometime last week, I wanted something Asian and spicy for lunch, and I decided to make sweet and sour chicken.

I chopped up some onions and garlic and lightly sauteed them with very little olive oil (you can use just about a teaspoon if you're using a non-stick pan) until fragrant. Then I added some chopped tomatoes and let that cook for a while to give it a little sour taste, then I added sambal oelek in place of fresh chili (which I can't seem to find out here) to make it a sauce and also to give more of the right kind of sour taste (right kind meaning the kind that I like :P). I also added just a little bit of honey for the sweet part of this dish.

Meanwhile, I baked some chicken I had marinated in curry powder and a little bit of soy sauce. We never deep fry anything, and always chose to bake or grill instead. To keep the meat from drying out while baking, just drizzle a little bit of olive oil before putting it into the oven. You end up using much less oil than deep frying, and it won't be greasy but tender and juicy :o).

After cooking the chicken, just pour the sauce over the chicken, and there you have it! Sweet and sour chicken...slurp. I served this with some brown rice and fresh spinach on the side.

Note: If you haven't noticed, we hardly use any beef in our cooking. This is because we feel that chicken is a healthier meat. According to experts, you're only supposed to have red meat once a week. The rule of thumb when it comes to red meat portioning is generally the size of your palm.

Mr. Green butts in: YUM! I absolutely loved it!

 

0 comments: