Donate to our Healthy Yums Cafe

We would like to eventually open a cafe dedicated to healthy eating and living. You could help us towards this goal! If you think you like what you see on our website, and would like to one day sit in a jazzy cafe eating our culinary creations, please feel free to donate to us, and remember, no donation is too small! :o) And if you make a significant contribution, we'll be more than happy to name a dish after you. Goodness knows we always have trouble naming our cooking :o). Thank you!






Beet Cookies

Let it be known that this blog is not all about successes in the kitchen. In fact, if anything this blog is about failures because healthyyums and I are always looking to experiment and improve on our recipes. So for as many successes as we have there are about twice as many failures. Such is the case with the newest experiment, beet cookies.Remember my oatmeal-raisin cookie recipe? Well I decided to try adding a half a cooked beet to the mix and evaluating the result. However, I didn't follow my own recipe very well, and it seemed to me that the cookie dough was too dry. I began to add soy milk and mix, but I forgot that oats tend to disintegrate under too much mixing (especially in the presence of liquid) and I ended up with what can best be described as purple oatmeal. This I divided up and put into the oven.

The good news is that I couldn't taste any beets! The bad was, well, everything else. I haven't completely abandoned the beet cookies idea, but I'm definitely going back to the cutting board.
P.S. - I might just be crazy, but do these cookies look like animal faces to anyone else?!? Completely accidental...

 

1 comments:

  1. great post! im thinking about experimenting with beets in cookies, mainly as a natural coloring. and to learn from a failed experiment is valuable to me, and others im sure..

    on October 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM